One of the excuses people bring up when it comes to travel is that they don’t afford it. Traveling doesn’t have to be expensive.
- Cheap air fares ! Go for the cheapest air fares. There are many websites out there which will get you decent prices, but some of which have long connections at airports. But what’s the rush right ?. If you’re traveling long distance, you must be traveing for a long duration so how are an extra 3 hours going to affect you ?. You might also get a 12 hour layover and get a peek into the city that you’re at, who knows ?. Here are two sites which you can use for decent air fare prices. momondo which happens to be my personal favourite http://www.momondo.com/ and Sky Scanner https://www.skyscanner.net/
- Forget shopping ! I’d rather spend a couple of baht and take a train from Bangkok to northern Thailand than buy some materialistic stuff that i would be not using in the near future. Are you traveling to get away or to clutter your life even more back home ?. Not to mention the load you’ll be carrying along the way.
- Shop from local markets ! As a vegan / mostly fruitarian, i eat to get the energy needed to make it through the day, after all that’s what food is about. Visiting the local markets will get you the best prices and produce of the day. Although food in South East Asia is pretty cheap, but let’s say you’re backpacking around Europe, visiting the local markets will always save you a couple of Euros which will probably be enough to cover your accomodation. This applies to whatever eating habits you might have.
- Travel long duration ! Traveling for a short period of time will force you depend on hotels, while traveling long duration will open up a new world of opportunities for low cost or even free accomodation. Staying is hostels is a good way to get a room for as low as 4 Euro – 8 Euro per night or up to 15 Euro for a private room. http://www.hostelworld.com/ I suggest that you go for the mixed dorms as it’s easier to make friends and meet people on the go. Traveling solo and meeting new people is one of the joys of solo traveling. Solo travel does not mean that you have to be alone throughout the whole trip, it just means that you don’t have to commit yourself to anyone who may turn your plans upside down, and make you feel uncomfortable throughout the whole journey. Another way of traveling low budget is using Couch Surfing. Couch Surfing is a website where you meet people who offer to host travelers in their homes / apartments. It’s a nice way of meeting the locals and learning about eachother cultures, sharing experiences, shopping and cooking together and so on. https://www.couchsurfing.com/ Aother way of free accomodation will be WWOOF. (Working Weekends On Organic Farms ). popular for it’s fruit picking jobs mostly in South East Asia and Australia WWOOFING gives you the opportunity to exchange your energy into a free bed and free food. http://wwoofinternational.org/
- Live like the locals do. live each day as if you’re living there. Use buses ! Yes it might take a little longer to reach your destination, but enjoy your surroundings, remember you’re not on a bus heading from home to work. What’s the rush ? Another way of cutting off some costs from expensive taxi’s is BlaBlaCar. BlaBlaCar connects car owners and co-travellers to share city-to-city journeys through the largest carpooling service in the world. https://www.blablacar.com/
- Get connected and use TravBuddy. Travbuddy is a website where backpackers connect and meet. If you are heading let’s say from Chiang Rai Thailand to Luang Prabang Laos, get connected and see who’s heading in that direction, maybe you feel like having a travel buddy for a period of time or want someone to split accomodation costs with. You will also get genguine reviews from travelers on hotels / hostels / restaurants and so on. http://www.travbuddy.com/
So remember, when your’e traveling ..
- Cheap air fares
- Travel long duration
- Forget shopping
- Eat from local markets
- Live like the locals do
- Get connected